We highly recommend that your org license Microsoft 365 for email hosting as well as your Office Applications. This will ensure maximum compatibility with CloudExtend both now and in the future as we leverage new Microsoft technologies only available in the latest versions.
Minimum Requirements to install and use Microsoft Outlook Add-Ins
For Outlook add-ins to load and function properly, there are a number of requirements for both the servers and the clients. In addition, for CloudExtend add-ins there are several NetSuite prerequisites.
Company Wide Settings
NetSuite Administrators need to enable SOAP Web Services (1) and Token Based Authentication (2) globally by navigating to Setup->Company->Enable Features->SuiteCloud and check boxes 1 and 2 below.
End User Settings
- Ensure that the role is not set to a 'web services only' role and that the role has the necessary permissions for each record type the user will be working with.
- Ensure that the following permissions are enabled on any and all roles that will be logging in and using CloudExtend Outlook (Setup > Users/Roles > Manage Roles) :
- Soap Web Services
- User Access Tokens
- SAML Single Sign On (ONLY if your company uses Single Sign On, ie OKTA, OneLogin, etc. - If you enable SSO and do not actually use SSO, users will NOT be able to login to NetSuite until you remove it).
- Allow JS/HTML uploads if your user will need to upload .js and .htm files
- Documents and Files (if users will be attaching files) : Minimum permission required is create.
Note full access is required only for users that have enabled the legacy attach method.
- Track Messages: Minimum permission required is create.
Outlook and Exchange Prerequisites
Below is a list of minimum prerequisites to run Microsoft Add-Ins built for Outlook. It is compiled from this Microsoft support article. We highly recommend that your org license a Microsoft 365 for email hosting as well as your Office Applications. This will ensure maximum compatibility with CloudExtend both now and in the future as we leverage new Microsoft technologies only available in the latest versions.
Outlook Client Prerequisites
The client must be connected to an Exchange server or Microsoft 365 using a direct connection. When configuring the client, the user must choose an Exchange, Office 365, or Outlook.com account type. If the client is configured to connect with POP3 or IMAP, add-ins will not load.
CloudExtend OneDrive and Sharepoint for Business is designed only to work with OneDrive and SharePoint for Business accounts and not personal OneDrive accounts.
The following clients support Outlook add-ins:
- Outlook with an Microsoft 365 subscription*
- Outlook 2013 or later for Windows (limited functionality without a Microsoft 365 subscription)
- Outlook 2016 or later for Mac
- Outlook for iOS
- Outlook on Android
- Outlook on the web for Exchange 2016 and Office 365
- Outlook on the web for Exchange 2013
Mail Server Prerequisites
Exchange Servers on Office 365 or outlook.com
If the user is connected to Microsoft 365 or Outlook.com, mail server requirements are all taken care of already.
On Premises Exchange Servers
For users connected to on-premises installations of Exchange Server, the following requirements apply.
- The server must be Exchange 2013 or later.
- Exchange Web Services (EWS) must be enabled and must be exposed to the Internet. Many add-ins require EWS to function properly.
- The server must have a valid authentication certificate in order for the server to issue valid identity tokens. New installations of Exchange Server include a default authentication certificate. For more information, see Digital certificates and encryption in Exchange 2016 and Set-AuthConfig.
- To access add-ins from the Office Store, the client access servers must be able to communicate with AppSource.
- CloudExtend Autopilot will not function on on premise Exchange Servers
* Some current features such as categorization of emails and many future features are dependent on the latest API's from Microsoft and are only available on Microsoft 365 Exchange Servers combined with Microsoft 365 client subscriptions. A Microsoft 365 subscription ensures that you will receive feature updates (new and improved API's) from Microsoft and CloudExtend.
Shared mailbox support
In order to support shared mailboxes the users must be added to the shared mailboxes by their Exchange Admin and should not manually add them to their Outlook profile. See this article for more details.